On nights like Thursday night, it feels like it’s the very mountains that are keeping us down. No matter how high we climb, it’s never quite high enough. Very few people outside the state of …Continue reading
Danny Ferguson didn’t like what he saw happening in Lincoln County, West Virginia, where he grew up. The downturn in the coal industry had hit hard, and young people had few job options beyond some …Continue reading
“My initials are inside a casket, J.B.,” said Bean. Jeffery L. Bean: We are making things for a person that they will put their loved one in. It’s a very memorable moment in their life. …Continue reading
Over the last two years, the number of coal mining jobs in Boone County, West Virginia has halved. Drive through the county now, and signs of depression are becoming evident in shuttered storefronts and homes …Continue reading
In 2015, Cassidy Wright-Hubbard was a seventeen-year-old sophomore at Southeast Community and Technical College in Cumberland, Kentucky. Raised in Harlan, she was dually-enrolled in high school and college studying for her art degree. But she …Continue reading
It is becoming an article of faith among the progressive left that the struggling working class, the poor and people from declining rural communities would vote for progressive left politicians if only they were told …Continue reading
100 Days, 100 Voices
- On Trump’s promise to bring back coal, these retired union miners say: ‘We can’t live in the past’
- While cities protest, some rural resistors are going back to the land in West Virginia
- ‘The hardest thing when I got my diagnosis was to call our two daughters’
- Kentucky communities counter white nationalist rally
- Tourism under Trump: Can recreation in Appalachia revive a struggling economy?
- Hello, world.