When the conversation gets heated and political tempers flare, it’s time for a new approach: neighborliness. People who live in small communities have a head start, not because they are inherently friendlier than urban people, …Continue reading
Supporters of President Donald Trump are slated to gather this weekend in nearly 50 cities across the country to show their support at events dubbed March4Trump. However, in the heart of Appalachia — and in …Continue reading
The United Mine Workers of America Health and Retirement Funds sent a letter to retired miners warning them that their health benefits won’t continue after May 1, 2017, if Congress doesn’t act by the end of April. In …Continue reading
The U.S. Senate confirmed Wilbur Ross to serve as President Trump’s Secretary of Commerce on a 72-27 vote Monday night — with U.S. Senator Joe Manchin, of West Virginia, voting against the billionaire businessman, citing …Continue reading
Violet Gathalee Pavkovich stands on the small back porch of her powder blue, turn-of-the-century farmhouse, an orange cat meandering around her legs. White wicker furniture contrasts the rusty railroad tracks that border her back yard. …Continue reading
During the years drug firms poured millions of highly addictive pain pills into West Virginia amid a rise of overdose deaths, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration had a shortage of leadership in the state, according …Continue reading
100 Days, 100 Voices
- On Trump’s promise to bring back coal, these retired union miners say: ‘We can’t live in the past’
- While cities protest, some rural resistors are going back to the land in West Virginia
- ‘The hardest thing when I got my diagnosis was to call our two daughters’
- Kentucky communities counter white nationalist rally
- Tourism under Trump: Can recreation in Appalachia revive a struggling economy?
- Hello, world.